Chapter 24


In 1934 Tommy Steele, Butcher, dissolved partnership with Willie Hannity in the lower square and moved to upper square where he converted a dwellinghouse to a butcher's shop.

Steele was helped by three of his four sons, Tommy Jun., Patrick and James. Anthony, the youngest, served his time to the motor repair trade in Murray's Garage in Castlewellan. He then worked on his own account behind the Butcher's Shop, but thought he would try his luck in England. He died there a young man in his forties. Tommy, the eldest, went to work in the Home Produce, in Newcastle, and spent most of his working life there. James started a dairy in the yard at the rear of the shop but this fell through when as he was known, died in the early 1970s. Paddy, the second son, took over the butcher's on the death of the old man in 1959 and, by 1978, had seen enough beef to do him his day. He placed the burden of the entire business on the shoulders of his eldest son, Anthony, and although Tony was only thirty one years old, it wasn't many sun-ups before there were changes to the business. He immediately commenced to make meat and fish pies and pasties. He then opened a carry out, named "The Dolphin", rented out the butcher's to Willie McCawley, from Newcastle, and really went into the pasties business in earnest.

By 1986, Tony had employed forty four people. One in particular, Hugo Moore, practically runs the whole factory and is a tremendous help to him.

Anthony Steele's property

Anthony Steele's property which includes "the Dolphin" Take Away Food.
On the extreme right is the "Castletown Insurance Office".
Tony is more interested in tinkering with the machinery and his fleet of vans and trucks used to deliver his products to the four corners of Ireland. His other hobby seems to be the buying up of gardens all around his factory and the way negotiations are going at the present time, he is likely to own the lot belonging to all the premises on that side of the street, including Rodgers, the builders, workshop. Anthony Steele's turnover in 1986, reached the unheard of amount of money in Castlewellan - two million pounds.

For recreation, he followed the motor-cycle grasstrack sport and has his home full of trophies. He still likes to have a charge around a field on his motorcycle.

There are one or two places in the Town that it would be impossible to keep a complete record of. One is the shop with the railings round the front, adjoining the Ulster Bank and facing onto the Upper Square. In the 1900s, it was Boyd's Saddlery and Leather Goods and, from then, in quick succession, almost certainly a Barber's, run by 'Trix' Donnegan, from the Circular Road, a Cycle Sales and Repairs, by Johnny Rice, from Ballymagreehan, an Electrical Supplies, by Paddy Fegan, the local Electrician, Funerals Hardware Grocery by Willie Patterson, from Bryansford, a Fruit Shop, by Willie Kerr and was supposed to be the home of Doctor Moore, when he first came to the Town. All these changes occurred before the late 1940s or early 1950s, when it was bought by Hugh King, the Draper, who lived there privately and sold the large garden and shed at the rear to Rodger Brothers, the bullders. Around 1960, Hugh built a new house on the Newcastle Road, rented the town dwelling to Ned Murray, the Garage man, and the shop end to Mrs Arthur Rooney, for a Hairdresser's. At the present time Ned Murray is still there but the name above the business part is "Castletown Insurance". At the rear of those premises and across Mary Street was a large building with loft belonging to Hugh. It was it this loft he once held auctions.